Tuesday 4 November 2008

Future Productions at Covent Garden

Thanks to Intermezzo for providing links to the 'lost' pages on the ROH website that provide news of future productions and when booking starts. This has given Bear an insight into possible exciting productions in the future.

The Spring season includes Dido and Aeneas and Acis and Galatea both with dance accompaniment... After seeing on DVD Ramaeau's 'Les Indes Galantes' recently, dance and opera together feels like a natural pairing and I wish there was more of it. 'Dido and Aeneas' includes the great mezzo Sarah Connelly and my personal favourite at the moment the counter-tenor Iestyn Davies. Meanwhile 'Acis and Galatea' include the sparkling Danielle Di Niese and Paul Agnew (French haute countre). Netrebko reprises her Juliet in Bellini's 'I Capuleti e i Montecchi' but unfortunately without Joyce DiDonato - instead we get Elina Garanca.... a great replacement I am sure but it will not draw me..... there is something about Garanca's tone that really does not set me a fire.... I am sure it will be great but just not for me.

The summer season looks interesting with the challenging 'Lulu' by Berg.... probably worth it for Jennifer Lamore playing Countess Geshwitz and Philip Langridge being part of the production. A 'Traviata' with Renee Fleming and Thomas Hampson seems a solid production and 'the Barber of Seville' looks like being a hot ticket with J-Flo, Simon Keenlyside and Joyce DiDonato. The 'Tosca' looks intriguing with Bryn Terfel as Scarpia along with Debra Voigt as Tosca and Marcello Giordini as Cavadossi.

All in all quite a good year.. the Dido and Aeneas and Acis and Galatea look the most interesting to me and if I feel brave enough I am sure to take in the Lulu (and prepare for aching trauma).

No comments: