Sunday 18 January 2009

Bear Notes: Anna Caterina Antonacci

I have to admit that I was not exactly bowled over when I saw Anna Caterina Antonacci at first in a cinema broadcast of Carmen from the Royal Opera House.... she was a very traditional Carmen and perhaps that just what swayed me from truly appreciating her talent...

That all radically changed when I heard her only recording (surprisingly) 'Era La Notte' - a beautiful collection of Baroque classics from the likes of Monteverdi, Giramo and Strozzi. I was completely entranced - at one point her voice had such beauty but then in the next sentence be so vicious and steely.I was joyous that she should have recorded such rare gems (Monteverdi I adored and Strozzi was to become my new love - more on Strozzi in a later post). In Strozzi's Lamento 'Lagrime mie' when Antonacci sings 'E voi, lumi dolenti, non piangete?' (And you, my afflicted eyes, do you not weep?) I had that familiar piercing of the heart, the same shock that great voices bring.

Luckily she is bringing her rare vocal talents to London and the Wigmore this month (Monday 26th and Thursday 29th January) showcasing some of the pieces from her album... Monteverdi's 'Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda' and joy - Strozzi's 'Lagrime mie'. I just hope that the concert will, at least, be half as good as the recording....

Read more about Anna Caterina Antonacci in the Times... an interesting article about this 'cult' diva.

No comments: